EOS cameras have often had firmware updates made available to fix behaviours or enhance features. Given that other components of the EOS system also have firmware, it should be no surprise to find firmware updates for EOS lenses and other items too.
With the introduction of the EOS R system, firmware updates are more essential than ever due to the way the lens and camera body share image processing tasks, so it’s vital to ensure your RF lenses and EOS R series cameras are kept up to date.
Firmware updates for lenses
I’ve tried to locate all the firmware updates I can find online, but if you have information about a lens update I am not listing please get in touch and I’ll happily update the page.
- RF 35mm F1.8 Macro IS STM – 2.0.2
- RF 50mm F1.2L USM – 1.0.5
- RF 15-35mm F2.8 L IS USM – 1.0.7
- RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM – 2.0.6
- RF 24-105mm F4-7.1 IS STM – 2.0.4
- RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM – 1.0.6
- RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM – 1.0.7
- RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM – 1.1.0
- RF 70-200mm F4L IS USM – 1.1.0
- RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM – 1.1.0
RF lenses without firmware updates
All RF lenses can be updated by the user, but the lenses listed below have not had an update made available. They do have firmware in and you can see the version in the camera menu. When an update is released the lens moves to the list above.
- RF 16mm F2.8 STM
- RF 24mm F1.8 MACRO IS STM
- RF 50mm F1.8 STM
- RF 85mm F1.2 L USM
- RF 85mm F1.2 L USM DS
- RF 85mm F2 Macro IS STM
- RF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM
- RF 400mm F2.8L IS USM
- RF 600mm F4L IS USM
- RF 600mm F11 IS STM
- RF 800mm F11 IS STM
- RF 800mm F5.6L IS USM
- RF 1200mm F8L IS USM
- RF 14-35mm F4L IS USM
- RF 15-30mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM
- RF 28-70mm F2 L USM
- RF 100-400mm F6.8-8 IS USM
- RF-S 18-45mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM
- RF-S 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM
- EF 40mm f/2.8 STM – 1.2.0
- EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III USM – 1.1.3
- EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II USM – 1.0.9
- EF 600mm f/4L IS III USM – 1.1.3
- EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM – 2.0.0
- EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II USM – 1.0.7
- EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM – 1.0.7
- EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x – 1.1.0
Firmware updates for accessories
Firmware updates for accessories are even more difficult to track, so if you know of more items with publicly available or Canon service installed firmware updates please get in touch and let’s keep this page updated.
- BG-E22 battery grip for EOS R – 1.1.0
- BG-R10 battery grip for EOS R5/R6
- WFT-R10 wireless transmitter for EOS R5 – 1.2.1
- GPS Receiver GP-E2 – 2.0.2 – GPS log file utility software required to install firmware
- Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E2II B – 1.0.4
- Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E4 – 1.0.1
- Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E4II B – 1.0.3
- Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E5 B – 1.0.7
- Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E7 B – 1.4.0
- Speedlite EL 100 – 1.0.1
- Speedlite 600EX-RT – Canon service update
- Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT – Canon service update
26/JUL 2022 – Added RF 24mm F1.8 MACRO IS STM, RF 15-30mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM, RF-S 18-45mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM & RF-S 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM to the page
18/May 2022 – Added updated firmware for WFT-R10 wireless transmitter, added new RF lenses to the list
9/Feb 2022 – Added updated firmware version for RF 70-200mm F4L IS USM
29/Oct 2021 – Added RF 16mm F2.8 STM, RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM and updated firmware version for RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM
25/May 2021 – Added EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, and updated firmware version for EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM.
16/Apr 2021 – Added new firmware for RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM lens and updated version for RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM. Added new RF400mm F2.8L IS USM, RF600mm F4L IS USM and RF100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM lenses.
21/Nov 2020 – Added new firmware update for EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II USM lens.
10/Nov 2020 – Added new RF lenses and updated the firmware versions for all RF lenses. Added new firmware update link for EF 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6L IS II USM. Added firmware update for WFT-R10.
25/July 2020 – Added first update for RF15-35mm F2.8 L IS USM, and updated the versions of firmware for several other lenses and BG-E22. Added new lenses RF600mm, RF800mm, RF85mm F2, RF100-500mm, and RF24-105mm F4-7.1. Added grips for EOS R5/R6
Looking for firmware for your EOS camera?
There’s another page dedicated to the firmware update information for EOS cameras since the start of the digital EOS cameras created by Canon.