Today Canon have announced the two remaining RF lenses, RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM, RF 85mm F1.2L DS USM, confirmed the development of the EOS-1D X Mark III and introduced a stereo video mic and mini tripod.
RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM & RF 85mm F1.2L USM DS
Canon Europe, world leader in lens manufacturing, launches the RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM and RF 85mm F1.2L USM DS, delivering on its commitment to introducing six RF lenses for the EOS R System to the market in 2019. Completing Canon’s F2.8L trinity series for the RF mount, the RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM is the world’s shortest and lightest¹ interchangeable lens with a focal length of 70-200mm f/2.8 for interchangeable lens cameras² with a 35mm Full Frame image sensor. The RF 85mm F1.2L USM DS sits in the new RF line-up as a complementary lens to the RF 85mm F1.2L USM. Sharing the same optical excellence, but with an added Canon unique DS coating, the RF 85mm F1.2L USM DS does not compromise on quality while achieving the desired soft bokeh look. With its shallow depth of field capabilities, it’s an ideal choice for capturing portrait shots with smooth backgrounds and drawing attention and focus on the subject.
The RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM – a lighter, shorter and trinity staple lens
Following the announcement of the RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM and RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM in August this year, the RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM completes Canon’s F2.8L zoom trinity lens series – three kit bag essential RF lenses enabling professionals and enthusiasts to capture subjects in practically any scenario with their large, bright f/2.8 aperture and zoom range.
The RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM is a great example of Canon’s commitment to supporting photographers with kit that helps push creative boundaries, futureproofing their content with the EOS R System. Weighing approximately 1,070g and is 146mm in length at its shortest – that’s around 28 per cent lighter and 27 per cent shorter than the existing EF mount model – photographers have the flexibility to shoot for longer periods of time, comfortably to capture the winning shot. The first RF lens with a white heat shield coating, the RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM will perform at a premium high standard whatever the weather.
The RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM is the first Canon lens to support an electronic floating focus control that drives the two lens groups individually with Dual Nano USMs – with this a high degree of quietness, power saving, and high-speed operation is achieved without sacrificing the lens’ compact size.
Equipped with Dual Nano USMs, the RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM also achieves high-precision still image AF and smooth movie AF in combination with the EOS R series Dual Pixel CMOS AF. This combination reduces focus breathing for video shooting. Coupled with 5 Stop IS (Image Stabilizer), images will be pin-sharp even when slowing the shutter speed down and in dark scenes – expanding the possibilities for handheld shooting.
RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Key Features:
- World’s shortest and lightest4 interchangeable lens with a focal length of 70-200mm f/2.8 for interchangeable lens cameras5 with a 35mm Full Frame image sensor – ideal for sports, wildlife and portraits
- Fast f/2.8 aperture throughout the zoom range
- 5 Stop IS (Image Stabilizer ) for shake free images
- Fast-focusing with Dual Nano USMs
- L- series quality and weatherproofing
The RF 85mm F1.2L USM DS – a picture perfect portrait lens
Retaining the stunning image quality and ease of use of the RF 85mm F1.2L USM, the addition of RF 85mm F1.2L USM DS to Canon’s RF line-up is its response to the variety of portrait photographers’ needs. Combining the large, maximum aperture of f/1.2 and close-up shooting, with a minimum focusing distance of 85cm, with its DS coating the RF 85mm F1.2L USM DS achieves greater expression – its dramatic blurring capabilities makes the subject ‘pop’ more than ever before.
This bokeh effect is made possible thanks to Canon’s original DS coating – a vapor-deposited coating technology that has a high transmittance at the center and a low transmittance toward the periphery. Without compromising on quality, the DS coating applied on the front and rear surfaces of the lens softly and smoothly blurs the entire outline of bokeh – not just on one side which is common of similar lenses on the market.
Not only is the RF 85mm F1.2L USM DS perfect for portraiture photography, the resulting bokeh effect this lens produces is perfect for achieving the desired ‘cinematic’ look many video content creators, across multiple genres from documentary to film, strive for. Dull, flat talking head videos are a thing of the past and the RF 85mm F1.2L USM DS is a RF lens that helps eradicate that.
RF 85mm F1.2L USM DS Key Features:
- High-performance 85mm prime lens
- DS Coating for soft, smooth and defocused rendering
- Large f/1.2 aperture
- Customisable control ring – giving direct control over Tv/Av/ISO settings
- L-series quality and weatherproofing
The RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM and RF 85mm F1.2L USM DS will be available from the start of December.
EOS-1D X Mark III – development announcement
Canon Inc. today announces the development of the highly anticipated EOS-1D X Mark III – the successor to the world-renowned EOS-1D X Mark II. Perfect for sports and wildlife, the flagship DSLR is being developed using feedback from the worldwide community of EOS-1D X and EOS-1D X Mark II photographers, including extensive real-world testing with professional photographers globally. Boasting Canon’s rich heritage creating optically excellent products, the EOS-1D X Mark III offers an impressive step change in autofocus, with dramatically improved image quality, video and communications. Using the camera, professionals have the confidence they will get ‘the shot’ and can deliver it at a competitive speed – faster than ever before – ideal for the increasingly fast-paced industry.
Canon’s announcement says the focus performance, speed, communications and battery life are key improvements. No word on the sensor resolution though.
- Improved AF stability and tracking with both viewfinder and live view shooting.
- Deep learning technology to ensure accurate focus tracking for each hot
- A new AF sensor with 28x more resolution in the centre of the sensor than the EOS-1D X Mark II
- Increased AF brightness range
- 525 focus areas using Dual Pixel AF with Live View covering 90% of the width and 100% of the height of the sensor
- Same AF algorithm for both viewfinder and live view
- Faster frame rate, up to 16fps with full AF & AE using the viewfinder and 20fps in Live View
- Twin CFexpress card slots give 5x RAW burst compared to the EOS-1D X Mark II
- 10bit stills in HEIF file format
- 4K video up to 60fps with 10bit Canon Log internal recording
- RAW for both stills and movie shooting
- Built-in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS and 2x faster Ethernet port
- A new control for selecting AF points built in to the AF-ON button
- Improved battery life using the existing LP-E19 batteries and charges
- Illuminated buttons to make it easy to operate in the dark
Tripod Grip HG-100TBR & Stereo Mic DM-E100
Canon Europe announces the addition of two ergonomic, lightweight and versatile accessories, the Canon Tripod Grip HG-100TBR and the Canon Stereo Microphone DM-E100. These small and affordable accessories will provide vloggers and videographers with higher quality audio and video content whilst also granting greater creative versatility when filming.
The Canon HG-100TBR is Canon’s first tripod grip to feature wireless operation, thanks to the integrated Canon Bluetooth Remote Control BR-E1, making it the perfect vlogging accessory to shoot stunning video footage in a variety of styles, even from a distance. The Canon DM-E100 stereo microphone has an ultra-compact design and is Canon’s lightest microphone to date in the accessory range. It enables vloggers and videographers to use it alongside the more compact cameras in the Canon line-up, such as the PowerShot G7 X Mark III, and improve the quality of their audio soundtrack whilst on the move.
Canon HG-100TBR Tripod Grip Key Features:
- Easy to hold
- Detachable, wireless, Bluetooth enabled BR-E1 remote control³
- Adjustable camera mount
- Lightweight design
- Compact size
Canon DM-E100 Stereo Microphone Key Features:
- Electret stereo condenser design
- Powered by compatible Canon cameras
- Hot Shoe mount with foot lock ring
- Wind shield
- 100Hz to 10kHz sound frequency range
- 120 degree unidirectional stereo
- Compact and lightweight
- 3.5mm audio jack connection
The Canon DM-E100 stereo microphone can only be used with the following Canon cameras; PowerShot G7 X Mark III, EOS 200D, EOS 250D, EOS 800D, EOS 77D, EOS 80D, EOS 90D, EOS M50, EOS M6 Mark II
Both the Canon HG-100TBR tripod grip and Canon DM-E100 stereo microphone will be available from Canon’s online store and official Canon retailers from December 2019, with an RRP of €89 and €99 respectively.
Thank you so much for your friendly feedback today on how I can improve when presenting and how to structure things logically. TaI’ll definitely be catching up with you again soon.