Canon has introduced the Speedlite 600EX II-RT a direct replacement for the exiting Speedlite 600EX-RT flash. Canon says that “The Speedlite 600EX II-RT is a powerful, high-performance flash, offering ultimate lighting control, ideal for fast frame-rate shooting such as sporting events, weddings or red carpet moments.”
Speedlite 600EX II-RT – faster recycling
The key reason for the replacement is recycle time when shooting a series of pictures at high speed. The Speedlite 600EX II-RT is 1.5x faster than the old 600EX-RT with AA batteries and when used with the new CP-E4N external battery pack this improves to make the flash about 2x faster to recycle, ideal for partnering with the EOS-1D X Mark II.
Canon has focussed on managing heat build-up within the flash when it is worked hard so the new flash should not go in to the red screened “meltdown mode” quite so readily 😉
New colour filters and bounce adapter
Also as part of the update there are a couple of new accessories, two orange SCF-E3 fixed colour filters and the SBA-E3 bounce adapter. The bounce adapter is similar to the one that comes with the Speedlite 430EX III-RT. There is also a new external batter pack – CP-E4N – though apart from a name that’s all the info we know.
From what I can see there is little that has changed in the buttons or display of the Speedlite 600EX II-RT, which will mean I can mix both old and new flashes and not have to change the way I operate them. However I’ll hold on to see the instruction manual to clarify my thoughts 🙂
Canon press Speedlite 600EX II-RT release
Canon Europe / UK
A world of lighting possibilities – the Speedlite 600EX II-RT
The Speedlite 600EX II-RT delivers uncompromised performance, making it the perfect companion for the flagship EOS-1D X Mark II. Firing up to 50 per cent more flashes continuously compared with its predecessor, and a 100 per cent increase when used with the new CP-E4N¹, it ensures you capture even more of the action. The new and improved heat measure technology prevents overheating and allows longer bursts of flashes.
A guide number of 60m at ISO 100 allows you to creatively light your subject over a wide range of distances and large areas, ideal for capturing the whole congregation at a wedding. Thanks to a wide lens coverage, from 20mm to 200mm, or to 14mm via the built-in adapter, photographers can easily control how light is spread across a subject.
For creative illumination, the flash features a wireless slave function, enabling photographers to make the most of off-camera lighting. The radio control function, pioneered by Canon, provides further creative freedom, allowing photographers to build mood and atmosphere into a scene at up to 30m away by simulating multi-directional light. Up to 15 Speedlites² can be used together off-camera for dramatic multi-flash photography – great when shooting interiors.
For portraiture specialists, the new and included bounce adapter SBA-E3 provides more freedom to bounce light from walls and ceilings for a softer, more natural result, whilst the rotating bounce flash eliminates unwanted shadows. The new clip-on hard coloured filters further helps when balancing flash with ambient light.
¹ This is in comparison to using the previous CP-E4 external battery pack
² The Speedlite 600EX II-RT can be used in conjunction with other wireless flashes, such as the Speedlite 430EX-III RT
The Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT flash Offers Improved Recycling Time and More
The Speedlite 600EX II-RT flash is compatible with most EOS cameras. It replaces Canon’s top-of-the-line Speedlite 600EX-RT, and improves recycling time by approximately 1.1 to 1.5 times* during continuous flash shooting when using AA batteries and up to 2 times* when adding the new optional Compact Battery Pack CP-E4N.
Additional Speedlite 600EX II-RT flash features include:
- Zoom flash head covers wide focal length range of 20–200mm; maximum guide number is 197 ft./60m at ISO 100, making Speedlite 600EX II-RT flash the most powerful flash unit in the EOS system.
- Wireless flash shooting support is available for both radio and optical transmission with compatible Canon Speedlites, offering users greater functional range when using flash.
- Multiple flash system support allows control of up to five groups of compatible Canon Speedlites.
- Dust- and water-resistant body for reliable operation in harsh environments.
- Flash-readiness indicator on the display panel, simplified button and dial operation and variable manual flash output.
- New, specially designed accessories supplied include a built-in bounce adapter, plus SCF-E3 hard-type color filter sets, and a soft case. The new Compact Battery Pack CP-E4N is available as an optional accessory for faster recycling time and more flashes per charge.
- Illuminated dot matrix LCD panel for enhanced display information, including flash mode and usable distance ranges plus C.Fn (Custom Function) and P.Fn (Personal Function) settings.
* Based on Canon’s standards. As compared to the Speedlite 600EX-RT.
The Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT electronic flash unit is scheduled to be available through authorized Canon dealers in June 2016 for an estimated retail price of $579.99. (Availability, pricing and specifications are subject to change without notice)