It seems to be firmware update time, with the Canon EOS 5D Mark III getting another update to resolve several “phenomena” found in earlier versions of the EOS 5D Mark III firmware. Personally I have not experienced any of these myself so far with my EOS 5D Mark III.
Canon says that firmware Version 1.2.3 incorporates the following improvements and fixes.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the flash may not fire depending on the timing of when the shutter button is pressed.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the AF microadjustment value may change.*
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the LCD monitor may show a line of false color along boundaries of high contrast.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the histogram of a LiveView image is incorrectly displayed when an HDMI cable is connected.
- Enables the brightness of the camera’s LCD monitor to be adjusted even when an HDMI cable is connected.
*The phenomenon listed in 2 was addressed with Firmware Version 1.2.1, and has been further improved with Firmware Version 1.2.3.Download EOS 5D Mark III firmware v1.2.3 for Windows Download EOS 5D Mark III firmware v1.2.3 for Macintosh
If you are looking for the latest update for a different camera model make sure to visit the firmware update page.